sure I know what that means, if I don't like it, I don't have to deal with it again.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

NPR and Sobriety

alcohol makes life feel relevant. Like you're being followed with a video camera. Everything feels a little more 3D. NPR also makes life feel relevant...so maybe it was the NPR. I made my self a Dr. Prauge's veggie burger while hearing about a new Hallmark card line, Journeys, for those difficult modern situations, and I vocalized my annoyance with a world that couldn't write their own damn cards. I contemplated myself a new job, writing cards, but overall couldn't understand those who can't write their own. While listening to a story on a family that moved to the remote island of fairisle in Scottland, I assembled the sandwhich, spinach, humous, tomato, burger, mayonaise and honey mustard. 70 people, and they moved to set up a bed and breakfast. Then Ira Glass came on and started expounding on the edge of the city, an x-land fill, x-lake where a man talked about remember various archtectural art being bulldozed and burried there years ago, comming and seeing beautiful pieces of art work sticking out of the ground at odd angels, and today they're all burried benneath a golf course. Buildings are importnat, destruction is depressing, people need beauty in their lives in order to survive, in order to be happy...or was it really important at all, my sense of hip determination, belief that I was destined for the NPR life began to fade a little, very little is important, a beautiful building's destruction is sad, but it's just life. Food, shelter, support, that's important, a beautiful building is just vanity, or is it? I turned it off. Too depressing really, I was getting too emotional over it. Ironcially this was coming from Chicago, and the shot glass, the 1.5 shots shot glass I had filled with apple flavored Smirnoff vodka after I put Dr. Prauge in the toaster oven, was a souvenir from Chicago, said so right on it. I shot it back, and either had a chunk of chocolate before it or after it, or both. The combination was good. Anyway, hit me pretty fast, being that my stomach was empty and it pretty much broke the fast. I'm pretty much coming down (or I guess, up as alcohol is a depressant) now. I feel much better. Like when an elephant gets off your toe. :-) At the same time, it didn't hurt except towards the end. I love sobriety. Everything feels fresher afterwards.

No comments: